Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Yao li 10/08/09

"I'm going up to the country...."  Today I traveled to the remote village of Yao li with my friend Dan, and his father, David, who is visiting for a few weeks.  The village is an example of what the rural, communal lifestyle of China was like over the past few centuries.  One cool thing about the village is that the people living in it do not pretend that they are living in the past like most of the reenactment sites in the US that I have visited do.  Instead they live in old buildings, have outdoor gardens, and make things in the old school ways, but they also wear modern clothes, and use gas stoves, and hang up posters of Chairman Mao.  

We also traveled up into the mountains and hiked around for a better part of the afternoon, and took in some beautiful sites provided by "The Nature," it was nice to get fresh air, good company, and a bit of exercise.

There were tons of really funny signs with terrible english translations, but there were also a few cool ones.



1 comment:

  1. hey mr.stollar, this is shanae i dont know if you remember me or not but you were my student teacher in Mrs.lucas's art class last year and she showed me you blogs and stuff and i think its so cool that your in china. but i was just stopping by to say hello and see how you wered doing

    you shoud email me sometime
    SHENANIGANS58@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete