Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Lecture series rolls on 10/09/09

  I am starting to dig into my work here, and loving every minute of it.  The cup is soda fired, and I like to drink my tea out of it.  When I first got here I threw a lot of cups to get my feet wet, settle in, and try out the beautiful porcelain that is available, this little guy is one of the fruits of my labor. 

In the evening a group of us went to a place called the "Pottery Workshop," which is a studio here in Jingdezehn that welcomes international artists to experience the city.  Every Friday there is a lecture given by either invited artists, or residents of the "Workshop."  Tonight's lecture was given by a Israeli ceramicist who lives in Australia.  Her work is interesting because it deals with the rift that exists between the Israelis and Palestinians.  Her views where very open and hopeful, which I found hopeful.
  After the lectures there is a little party, and most of the foreigners hang out to drink the free beer (hmm?), and bs.  There is a lot of art speak, and it is one of the few times during the week where I get to interact with english speakers who I do not see everyday. 

1 comment:

  1. Love the colors of corn against sky; waterfall is exquisite too! Cheryl

    ReplyDelete