Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Little vase factory 10/10/09

Today I took a trip to the big vase factory.  The road to the factory follows the river, and this little farm looked so organized and beautiful, that I had a strong desire to document it.  The vase factories are amazing and a bit absurd.  The vases are made in sections.  Each section is a probably 100 pounds of thrown clay, it takes a team of throwers to center and throw the pieces.  The pots are then assembled, trimmed, and then hand painted.  The thing that amazes me about these places is that the workers are doing just that, working, they have no outstanding desire (from what I can see) to be "creative", or create "art", it seems more like work - 9 to 5.

I use the quotations because I feel like these statements could lead to some interesting discussions.   

No comments:

Post a Comment